Thankfully, I'd hit up one of my favourite shops on Thursday: Nancy's Cheese. It was here that I was introduced to the joys of sheep cheese. It's so much better (read: less gamey) than goat.
Best of all, Nancy always gives samples of whatever it is you're looking to buy! And I'm definitely a girl who loves her samples.
So, Thursday, I spent the better part of 40$ on 4 wedges of cheese.
I regret nothing.
|Friday Night Dinner|
- a bottle of Malivore Gamay
- one sliced Honeycrisp Apple
- pumpkin pecan bread from Whole Foods
- Beemster XO cheese - cow's milk aged gouda with butterscotch notes
- Moliterno - sheep's milk cheese with truffle
- Zamorano - unpasteurized sheep's milk cheese
- Brie - unpasteurized cow's milk
- tarragon orange olives
As a bonus, here's Thursday night's dinner recipe. It's amazing and was also served with delicious cheeses.
|Roasted Butternut Squash & Shallot Soup|
From Cooking Light
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup soup and 1 teaspoon chives)
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons (1-inch) slices fresh chives
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
3. Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with chives and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 112 (20% from fat)
- Fat: 2.5g (sat 0.4g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.3g)
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 22.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 266mg
- Calcium: 84mg